Albion Motors of Scotstoun, Glasgow, was a Scottish manufacturer of commercial vehicles and lorries. Today the company is a subsidiary of American Axle & Manufacturing, and manufactures axles, driveline systems, chassis systems, crankshafts and chassis components. It is Scotland's best known name in the motor industry. Albions were renowned for their superior engineering and reliability. Their slogan "Sure as the Sunrise" was known across the globe.
Originally known as Albion Motor Car Company Ltd, the company was founded in 1899 by Thomas Blackwood Murray and Norman Osborne Fulton, and later joined by John F Henderson who provided additional capital. The factory was originally on the first floor of a building in Finnieston Street, Glasgow, and had only seven employees. In 1903 the company moved to new premises in Scotstoun.
The Albion Motor Car Company Ltd was renamed Albion Motors in 1930.
In 1951, Albion was taken over by Leyland Motors . After the British Leyland Motor Corporation was founded in 1968, production continued with the Albion Chieftain, Clydesdale & Reiver trucks and the Albion Viking bus models. Production of these was then moved to the Leyland plant at Bathgate in 1980.
Leyland dropped the Albion name when the company name was changed to Leyland (Glasgow) and later to Leyland-DAF from 1987 when it became a subsidiary of that Dutch concern. A management buy-out in 1993 brought ‘Albion Automotive’ back into Scottish ownership. But a new owner, US Axle & Manufacturing Company (AAM) of Detroit, Michigan, took over in 1998.
1971 Albion Reiver 6x6
Operated by S.J.Beckwith Ltd, Haulage Contractor, Chelmsford. Photo taken at Cranfield, Bedfordshire...
Albion Chieftain, 1948
1948 model FT 37L Albion Chieftain flying the colours at the heritage Truck Show held in May this ye...
ALBION WD HD 23S, (1953)
This is an ALBION WD HD 23S, (1953) believed to be the only short wheelbase remaining. It will recei...