John Isaac Thornycroft built his first steam lorry in 1896 at his Chiswick boatyard by the banks of the River Thames. In 1898 as the Steam lorry business grew they transferred to a new factory built at Basingstoke.
The Basingstoke Factory was closed in 1969 and production transferred to the Watford plant of Scammell. Following the acquisition of Leyland by the Dutch company DAF in 1987 the Watford plant was closed in 1988 as part of the rationalisation programme.
1946 Thornycroft Nippy
This former Great Western Railway vehicle was rescued from a Shrewsbury scrapyard in 1981. The pains...
1954 Thornycroft Big Ben
Likely to be ex-military this vehicle was seen at the Pickering Steam Rally, Yorkshire, England in A...
Believed to be the oldest Thornycroft truck in existence, this image was taken on The Stray, Harroga...
Thornycroft seen at Ayr (Uk) truck meeting 20/7/13